Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Look-Alike

BYU Men's Chorus
This weekend I attended the "Celebration of Christmas" at the Harris Fine Arts Center. BYU's Men's and Women's Choruses, the Concert Choir and the Philharmonic Orchestra performed fifteen traditional Christmas songs and carols. Even though I'm not usually a concert person, I actually had a fun time. The groups had a great performance and I enjoyed seeing some of my friends and classmates shine.

After the concert I went to congratulate my friends. A boy in Men's Chorus came up to me and said, "You changed fast." I was confused for a second but realized that he thought I had performed in the concert. I replied, "I'm not in Women's Chorus..." and he said, "Are you sure?" I laughed and said that I was sure. Then I asked him, "Maybe you're mistaking me for Michelle* (name has been change)?" He said, "Hmm, I guess I am."

Backstory: This is about the fourth time that someone I had just met at BYU has said that I looked just like a girl named Michelle. I actually met her while we were both volunteering at the MTC. She told me that the same thing has happened to her too. We're both tan with dark hair and big front teeth. Our names also both start with the letter M. But I'm a lot taller than her and her eyes are a lot bigger than mine. We don't look that alike.

Back to current story: So I say goodbye to the boy and I go off to find more friends. That's when I see Michelle wearing a Women's Chorus outfit. I congratulate her and tell her about the boy I just met. Then I said, "Will you come with me?" She agrees and we walk back to where the boy is standing. Then I ask him, "Is this who you were confusing me with?" Michelle and I start cracking up and the boy says, "Must be." I then introduce them and Michelle goes back. The boy had a good sense of humor and he took it well.

This was a funny experience that revealed how some BYU students can't tell brown people apart. I suppose that's okay because I can't tell a lot of white people apart either. Hah.

photo: news.byu.edu

1 comment:

  1. You can't tell a lot of white people apart? I can't tell a lot of Asians apart! I wonder if watching an Indie film is about as confusing to you as watching a Martial Arts movie is to me.

    ReplyDelete