![]() |
| BYU campus. Ain't she a beauty. |
I think I am comfortable in Provo because of BYU's high quality students and high standards for behavior. BYU students are not only smart, but also friendly and well-rounded. For example, I am very impressed to see how many of my neighbors go to the gym a few times a week like I do. I'm also surprised when people don't hold the door open for me--not because I feel like people should be holding the door open for me, but because I'm used to it now. The majority of people are just nice. Whenever I go off campus I'm shocked to see "normal" people, like boys with facial hair and girls with multiple piercings. Going home to Hawaii will be a shock. Not only will it feel hot and humid, but I'll be surrounded by ordinary citizens and sunburned tourists. I'll see the beach and green mountains and rainbows and sunsets. But I'll also hear swearing and partying across the street of my apartment and smell marijuana in the parking lot.
It was difficult to explain BYU's standards to my friend in a way that would make sense to her. For example, I told her about the honor code and said that it was "like an academic honesty thing, and a no drinking thing, and a no sex thing." I'm sure that Karl Maeser is spinning in his grave. But I appreciate the honor code because I don't have to worry about living a different lifestyle than my friends like I did in high school, especially when everyone started drinking and smoking senior year. I don't have to worry about what my friend worries about, like pictures from last night's party ending up on Facebook. So as much as I miss home and feel ready for winter break, I might even miss BYU a little bit.
photo: et.byu.edu

Very nice story. I cannot help but think of the Brandon Davies problem when mentioning the honor code. So many of my friends back home thought BYU over reacted, but the reality is if you don't have intentions of keeping the honor code, do not come!
ReplyDeleteI like that you mentioned how people at BYU are friendly. I completely agree! People want others to feel included and are open to others. I feel like people at this school genuinely want other to succeed.
ReplyDeleteYea! Its going to be so weird going back home to where people are not as polite. Sometimes I used to think that the kindness of people here was fake, but now I've realized that it is genuine kindness. Its a nice feeling.
ReplyDelete