![]() |
| Cougar pride. All day every day! |
Additionally, these mountains give me a sense of direction. In Honolulu, the cardinal points north, south, west, and east are referred to as "mauka" or mountain, "makai" or ocean, "Ewa" (a city on the West-side of the island), and "Diamond Head," respectively. Thus I defined my location relative to my physical surroundings, especially Diamond Head, which I could see from my living room window. Moreover, I had never used "north," "south," "west," or "east" before in my life. None of that matters when you live on an island because there's ocean in every direction. When I came to Provo, however, knowing my directions became very important in this large campus and new town. I felt lost and helpless because I didn't know my directions at all--I couldn't respond when nice people around campus directed me to walk North toward my dorm or South toward the Testing Center. Nonetheless, that all changed when someone told me that the Wasatch Mountain Range was east and that Timp was the mountain with the snow on it. Since then, I've felt much more secure about my location. Similarly, as I've studied here at the Y, I've felt more confident about my direction as a college student and as one of God's children. Coming to BYU has enabled me to grow both intellectually and spiritually and has helped me to mature into a well-rounded individual. This blog has served as a medium for me to reflect on my experiences here and appreciate how much things have changed.
photo: daringyoungmom.blogspot.com
photo of Mt. Timpanogos: summitpost.org
photo of Diamond Head: lexington.k12.il.us

I have loved reading your blog! My favorite was your personal narrative. Thanks for connecting with your audience so well!
ReplyDelete