Sunday, December 4, 2011

BYU vs Hawaii Football

One for the record books.

On Saturday the BYU Football team played the University of Hawaii Warriors. This presented me with a dilemma. I love Hawaii and I support Warrior athletics. But now I'm a Cougar (the animal, not the older woman who preys on younger men). So what do I do?

First it's important to understand some of the drama here. UH had a 6-6 record and needed a win to play in a bowl game, probably the Sheraton Hawaii bowl. This would bring in money to the town and help our economy. On the other hand, BYU is already set to play in the Armed Forces Bowl. Therefore, it makes sense for BYU to be nice and let UH win this game. But that's not going to happen.

Some more drama: UH is playing its third string quarterback and BYU's Riley Nelson is cleared to play for the first time after his injury. UH is also accused of point-shaving this season, but we all know it's just a disgruntled gambler trying to stir up trouble. BYU and UH have a bitter rivalry for three reasons: (1) UH, like every other school, hates BYU because it's BYU, (2) BYU and UH used to be rivals in the same conference, the WAC, and (3) UH hates BYU for stealing many of Hawaii's potential recruits, as many Polynesians in Hawaii are Mormon and would attend UH if it weren't for BYU recruiting them (as BYU is a better football program and is affiliated with the LDS Church). This game is also significant because BYU and UH have agreed to play each other for at least the next eight more years. While this is a huge game for BYU players hoping to enjoy some time in paradise before returning to the cold, it's an even bigger game for UH fans who are dying to beat BYU.

My dad, a BYU alum, decided to support BYU. Even though he works at UH, he said that he feels a bond with BYU because they are LDS, have returned missionaries on the team, and because a few years ago Bronco Mendenhall was in Hawaii for a recruiting trip and gave a fireside at my church building, after which he signed autographs and told me that I had a nice smile. My dad told me to just jump on the bandwagon of the winning team.

BYU trailed at halftime but ended up winning 41-20. It was a fantastic game and Riley had a couple of amazing plays. I'm happy that BYU won and I really wish I could have been at the game with my friends. The football team also gave a youth fireside that I heard was great. Go cougars!

12/6 update: Shocking fallout from the BYU/UH game: UH coach Greg McMackin accepted a $600,000 buyout from the school and retired early. His contract was set to expire next year. I guess Hawaii is no longer "backin' McMackin."

photo: byucougars.com

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! That must have been such a hard decision to make! I totally understand and will be making the same decision when BYU plays schools from my home state. Also, I have friends on the women's basketball team (there are 3 in my hall), but my BEST FRIEND plays basketball for Harvard. I don't know what I'm gonna do!

    ReplyDelete